Salem Health is currently seeking a talented Nutritional Services Associate to join our team!
Salem Health offers exceptional care to people in and around Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley. We have hospitals in Salem and Dallas (West Valley), a medical group of primary and specialty care providers, plus other affiliated services. Our Dallas hospital is a critical-access hospital. Our Salem hospital is a Magnet®-recognized facility, a regional referral center and one of the largest acute-care hospitals in Oregon. Salem Health is the area’s largest private employer, with about 3,500 full and part-time employees.
The Nutritional Services Associate (NSA) is a multi-skilled member of the patient services team. The NSA is the face and voice of the nutrition service department demonstrating outstanding customer service skills in person and on the telephone. The NSA aims to exceed customers’ expectations with particular attention to detail in quality food preparation, patient interaction and customer service.
When scheduled as a tray passer, host, or call center representative, the NSA is the face and the voice of our department to the patient. Room service allows the patient to order what they want, when they want it. The NSA highest telephonic customer service at menu selection, ensures quality in preparation, accuracy and attention to detail in presentation, and uses courtesy when delivering a consistent scripted message upon meal delivery.
Between peak meal deliveries, the NSA works in food production and tray assembly. The NSA ensures that fresh, high quality food is prepared and presented in an appetizing and appealing manner. Verifying accuracy and ensuring diet compliance is a key element of the role. The NSA has well-rounded knowledge of diets and textures, and adapts to constant change in a very fast paced and dynamic environment.
Minimum Qualifications Include:
• High school diploma or equivalent experience required.
• A minimum of one (1) year of food related experience or two (2) years in any position requiring significant direct customer contact required.
• Current Oregon Food Handlers Card required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Include:
• Computer literacy with ability to operate a PC required
• Training in food preparation / presentation and a knowledge of therapeutic/modified diets preferred
• Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
• Must have the ability to work efficiently and responsibly in an environment with multiple work demands and short time frames
• Must adhere to proper food handling techniques
• Must be flexible and willing to work in other areas
Core Job Functions Include:
• Maintains appropriate levels of food inventory at your station.
• Notifies appropriate personnel of any needs in the department.
• Monitors floor stock supplies and enteral tube feeding supplies; requisitions inventory to replenish these supplies according to par levels established for assigned units and completes records for charging.
• Keeps these supply areas organized and rotates food according to department standards.
• Checks temperatures on all assigned unit refrigerators daily.
• Demonstrates positive, clear, and friendly interactions with customers, in person and on the telephone.
• Demonstrates excellent communication and flexibility within the fast paced, high function, multi-skilled work environment.
• Defines the customer as patients, families, visitors and coworkers and is able to effectively communicate to positively impact the patient experience.
• Uses standard work in the meal delivery process.
• Ensures patient safety by following hand hygiene and the "two patient identifiers" policy.
• Consistently checks diet checklist/ reviews signage outside patient rooms, and properly enters data into the tray tracker log with date, time and initial.
• Consults the RN, when appropriate, and never leaves a feed assisted tray unattended with a patient.
• Notifies the patient of any circumstance surrounding our tray services.
Assist patients with menu selections:
• Orients patients / visitors to room service menu ordering process, and when needed, assists with the menu ordering process according to departmental guidelines and physician prescribed diet orders.
• Through use of phone, computer and face to face interactions, collaborates with kitchen, delivery, clinical nutrition, nursing, and call center staff, to meet the food & beverage needs of patients
Accuracy & Information Management:
• Will correctly access hospital computer systems for current patient information.
• Reads and relays only the information needed to perform assigned tasks, and adheres to hospital policies in regards to logging out of computers to protect the confidentiality of patient information.
• Maintains accuracy while placing orders into Computrtion,, assembling patient trays and delivering meals, stock to the floors.
• Demonstrates basic competency in the core areas of the NSA position, while working one of these areas as their primary assignment.
• Demonstrates knowledge of unit-based performance and outcomes (such as patient satisfaction scores & meal delivery / call wait times).
• Participates in the training and orientation of new NSAs.
• Identifies opportunities, brings forth recommendations and participates in ongoing process improvement initiatives.
Working Conditions Include:
• Possible risk of blood/body fluid exposure
• Constant moving about work area; push/pull (force) 1-20 pounds; walk-level surfaces
• Frequent lift & carry 1-10 pounds; use of arms/wrists; manual dexterity (grasping/squeezing)
Successful applicants will be required to undergo pre-employment drug testing for unauthorized substances. Marijuana and medical marijuana are considered unauthorized substances. Upon date of hire, applicants will be required to complete the U.S. Department Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming identity and authorization to work in the United States. Salem Health is not able to support VISA sponsorships.
In order to be considered for this position, your resume must reflect all relevant licenses, certifications, education, and experience noted in the requirements and minimum qualification sections of this job posting. Without this information, candidates cannot be considered for positions to which they may be qualified.
Please note: Six furlough days per year are currently in effect for designated departments. Employees in their first twelve months of a benefit eligible position are generally exempted from mandatory furlough days.