Salem Health is currently seeking a talented Nutrition Services Associate to join our team!
Salem Health offers exceptional care to people in and around Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley. It is comprised of hospitals in Salem and Dallas, a medical group of primary and specialty care providers, plus other affiliated services. Salem Health West Valley in Dallas is a critical-access hospital. Our Salem hospital is a Magnet®-recognized facility, a regional referral center and one of the largest acute-care hospitals in Oregon. The hospital is the city of Salem's largest private employer, with approximately 3,500 full and part-time employees.
Every result we deliver has a profound impact on people’s lives, which is why we deliver more than just results. Our exceptional clinical care, healing environment, and commitment to quality patient care makes us tops with the people who matter to us: our patients and their families.
Our hospital is licensed for 454 acute care beds, and is guided by a 15-member volunteer Board of Trustees. The hospital is the city of Salem's largest private employer, with approximately 3,500 full and part-time employees.
The Nutritional Services Associate (NSA) is a multi-skilled member of the patient services team. The NSA is the face and voice of the nutrition service department demonstrating outstanding customer service skills in person and on the telephone. The NSA aims to exceed customers’ expectations with particular attention to detail in quality food preparation, patient interaction and timely customer service.
When scheduled as a tray passer, host, or call center representative, the NSA is the face and the voice of our department to the patient. Room service allows the patient to order what they want, when they want it. The NSA highest telephonic customer service at menu selection, ensures quality in preparation, accuracy and attention to detail in presentation, and uses courtesy when delivering a consistent scripted message upon meal delivery.
Between peak meal deliveries, the NSA works in food production and tray assembly. The NSA ensures that fresh, high quality food is prepared and presented in an appetizing and appealing manner. Verifying accuracy and ensuring diet compliance is a key element of the role. The NSA has well-rounded knowledge of diets and textures, and adapts to constant change in a very fast paced and dynamic environment.
The NSA will be able to learn quickly and adapt to changing patient needs, possess a strong sense of accountability for improving the lives of our patients, have an exceptional focus on teamwork, and the ability and passion to deliver the highest quality of care based on a strong sense of patient focus.
Minimum Qualifications Include:
• High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience required.
• A minimum of one (1) year of food related experience or two (2) years in any position requiring significant direct customer contact required.
• Food Handlers Card required within first 30 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Include:
• Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays when needed.
• Computer literacy with ability to operate a PC required
• Training in food preparation / presentation and a knowledge of therapeutic/modified diets preferred
• Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
• Must have the ability to work efficiently and responsibly in an environment with multiple work demands and short time frames
Core Job Functions Include:
• Maintains appropriate levels of food inventory at your station.
• Notifies appropriate personnel of any needs in the department.
• Monitors floor stock supplies and enteral tube feeding supplies; requisitions inventory to replenish these supplies according to par levels established for assigned units and completes records for charging.
• Keeps these supply areas organized and rotates food according to department standards.
• Checks temperatures on all assigned unit refrigerators daily.
• Demonstrates positive, clear, and friendly interactions with customers, in person and on the telephone.
• Uses standard work in the meal delivery process.
• Orients patients / visitors to room service menu ordering process, and when needed, assists with the menu ordering process according to departmental guidelines and physician prescribed diet orders.
Working Conditions Include:
• Constant moving about work area; push & pull (force) 1-20 pounds; walk level surfaces.
• Frequently lift & carry of 1-10 pounds; use of arms/wrists and manual dexterity (grasping/squeezing).
• Possible risk of exposure to blood/body fluids.
• Must be able to pass pre-employment drug tests for unauthorized substances including marijuana.
• Must be legally able to work in the United States.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo pre-employment drug testing for unauthorized substances. Marijuana and medical marijuana are considered unauthorized substances. Upon date of hire, applicants will be required to complete the U.S. Department Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming identity and authorization to work in the United States. Salem Health is not able to support VISA sponsorships.
In order to be considered for this position, your resume must reflect all relevant licenses, certifications, education, and experience noted in the requirements and minimum qualification sections of this job posting. Without this information, candidates cannot be considered for positions to which they may be qualified.
Please note: Six furlough days per year are currently in effect for designated departments. Employees in their first twelve months of a benefit eligible position are generally exempted from mandatory furlough days.
Unscheduled staff are utilized in periods of increased patient care requirements or high census to provide acceptable staffing levels in addition to providing coverage during a regularly scheduled employee’s absence (sick leave, vacation, etc). This position is not benefits eligible.
Per Diem employees are required to work at least 400 hours per year, however, Salem Health cannot assure a set schedule or hours per week.