Salem Health is currently seeking a talented Cook in Nutrition Services to join our team!
Salem Health offers exceptional care to people in and around Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley. It is comprised of hospitals in Salem and Dallas, a medical group of primary and specialty care providers, plus other affiliated services. Salem Health West Valley in Dallas is a critical-access hospital. Our Salem hospital is a Magnet®-recognized facility, a regional referral center and one of the largest acute-care hospitals in Oregon. The hospital is the city of Salem's largest private employer, with approximately 3,500 full and part-time employees.
Every result we deliver has a profound impact on people’s lives, which is why we deliver more than just results. Our exceptional clinical care, healing environment, and commitment to quality patient care makes us tops with the people who matter to us: our patients and their families.
Our hospital is licensed for 454 acute care beds, and is guided by a 15-member volunteer Board of Trustees. The hospital is the city of Salem's largest private employer, with approximately 3,500 full and part-time employees.
• To prepare and serve fresh, flavorful, and aesthetically pleasing foods to patients and customers
• To provide the expertise that will comply with, or continuously improve upon, the quality of the food and production techniques used
• To bring a sense of pride to the quality of the foods prepared and the service provided
• To follow proper portioning, service techniques, and leftover utilization to insure cost effectiveness
• To clean as you go and continually monitor and comply with sanitation guidelines
Minimum Qualifications Include:
• High School Diploma or equivalent, or equivalent experience required.
• Minimum of one (1) year of experience as a cook in either a restaurant, commercial food service operation, or hospital kitchen.
• Current Food Handlers Card required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Include:
• Strong production skills required (fast, efficient, accurate, and clean)
• Must have disciplined approach to clean as you go and safe food handling practices
• Must be able to demonstrate exceptional customer service skills
• Strong “people skills” (must be able to work well with others and demonstrate ability to thrive in a teamwork environment)
Core Job Functions Include:
• Prepares and cooks foods that taste great and are aesthetically pleasing
• Follow recipes and portions accurately for optimal cost effectiveness.
• Clean as you go, keeping station clean and uncluttered. Follow established food safety guidelines.
• Assists others in Nutrition Services as time permits.
Working Conditions Include:
• Must be able to deal with change
• Be able to handle very fast paced high demand environment
• Able to tolerate both hot and cold temperatures in work area.
• Constant moving about work area; push/pull (force) 1-10 pounds
• Frequent standing, lift & carry 1-10 pounds; push/pull (force) 11-20 pounds; twist; walk level surfaces; use of arms/wrists and manual dexterity (grasping/squeezing)
• Little to no risk of exposure to blood/body fluids
Successful applicants will be required to undergo pre-employment drug testing for unauthorized substances. Marijuana and medical marijuana are considered unauthorized substances. Upon date of hire, applicants will be required to complete the U.S. Department Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming identity and authorization to work in the United States. Salem Health is not able to support VISA sponsorships.
In order to be considered for this position, your resume must reflect all relevant licenses, certifications, education, and experience noted in the requirements and minimum qualification sections of this job posting. Without this information, candidates cannot be considered for positions to which they may be qualified.
Please note: Six furlough days per year are currently in effect for designated departments. Employees in their first twelve months of a benefit eligible position are generally exempted from mandatory furlough days.
Unscheduled staff are utilized in periods of increased patient care requirements or high census to provide acceptable staffing levels in addition to providing coverage during a regularly scheduled employee’s absence (sick leave, vacation, etc). This position is not benefits eligible.
Per Diem employees are required to work at least 400 hours per year, however, Salem Health cannot assure a set schedule or hours per week.