Salem Health is currently seeking a talented Clinical Nurse BSN to join our team!
Salem Health offers exceptional care to people in and around Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley. We have hospitals in Salem and Dallas (West Valley), a medical group of primary and specialty care providers, plus other affiliated services. Our Dallas hospital is a critical-access hospital. Our Salem hospital is a Magnet®-recognized facility, a regional referral center and one of the largest acute-care hospitals in Oregon. Salem Health is the area’s largest private employer, with about 3,500 full and part-time employees.
Every result we deliver has a profound impact on people’s lives, which is why we deliver more than just results. Our exceptional clinical care, healing environment, and commitment to quality patient care makes us tops with the people who matter to us: our patients and their families.
The Clinical Nurse at Salem Health is responsible for utilizing the nursing process to provide safe, quality healthcare to patients in various settings with a variety of acute and critical, medical, surgical and rehabilitation needs.
The Clinical Nurse in the Emergency Department is responsible for using the nursing process to provide quality patient care in the Emergency Department setting within the full spectrum of patient needs and levels of acuity. An emergency nurse must be flexible, self-motivated, capable of multi-tasking, and constantly realigning priorities. Must be able to work well as a member of a highly functional team and in an unpredictable environment. Excellent verbal and written communication skills highly valued.
Minimum Qualifications Include:
• Requires BSN or non-nursing Bachelor’s Degree with MSN for all external applicants for Salem Hospital, preferred for West Valley Hospital. Bachelor of Arts in Nursing also accepted.
• For internal applicants preference may be given to applicant with BSN.
• Minimum of one (1) year of Clinical Nurse experience required. For candidates with less than one (1) year, see New Grad requirements.
• Previous ED experience preferred.
• Current unencumbered licensure to practice nursing as a Registered Nurse in the State of Oregon.
• BLS issued by the American Heart Association required.
• Requires ACLS and TNCC
• Requires PALS or ENPC
• Requires CPI within six (6) months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Include:
• Knowledge of medical terminology and basic clinical skills.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and to use professional judgment in emergency situations.
• Must have basic computer knowledge and keyboarding skills.
• Ability to collaborate and work in a team environment.
• Ability to serve as team leader.
• Ability to communicate clearly and constructively-written and verbal. (Legible handwriting, accurate spelling, clear enunciation, well modulated voice)
• Must have organizational and delegation skills.
• Ability to work alongside or in conjunction with Interpretive Services.
Core Job Functions Include:
A. Performs an accurate, ongoing, pertinent assessment for each assigned patient that are age appropriate. Reports/consults pertinent data to other health team members and implements appropriate action.
B. Assesses historical data pertinent to medical, social, cultural and educational factors and prior rehabilitation efforts. All areas of the evaluation are addressed.
C. Assesses patient/family education needs and learning readiness level, and uses appropriate language and terminology. Repeats instructions often if needed.
A. Demonstrates competency in delivery of care based on the patient care plan. Performs nursing skills following Salem Health-West Valley Hospital policies and procedures utilizing appropriate resources. Demonstrates knowledge of age-specific behaviors when caring for patients. Such as:
a. Involves family or designated caregiver with care
b. Encourage self-care
c. Assists patient to plan for anticipated body changes
d. Assists, when appropriate, reminiscing about events
B. Prioritizes care based on patient’s current needs. Proactive in preventing adverse outcomes. Demonstrates follow-through in the completion of patient care.
C. Intervenes appropriately in emergency situations.
A. Initiates and/or reviews appropriate plan of care with patient/family to address holistic age-specific needs and reflect the patient’s changing condition.
B. Develops a plan of treatment based on the patient’s rehabilitation potential, rehabilitation barriers, objective findings, cultural, social, medical and developmental backgrounds.
C. Plans for the transfer/discharge of the patient to the next appropriate level of care in the continuum and is proactive in working with other members of the health care team and/or family as appropriate.
Working Conditions Include:
Frequent standing, moving about work area, lift & carry 1-10 pounds, walk-level surface, use of arms/wrist, & manual dexterity (grasping/squeezing).
Includes exposure to weather, heat, cold, chemicals, etc, unusual shifts, etc.
• Demonstrates proficiency in safe patient handling use of equipment.
• Ability to safely pull, turn & lift a minimum of 50 lbs. unaided & more than 100 lbs. with assistance.
Nothing in this job description restricts Salem Health’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo pre-employment drug testing for unauthorized substances. Marijuana and medical marijuana are considered unauthorized substances. Upon date of hire, applicants will be required to complete the U.S. Department Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming identity and authorization to work in the United States. Salem Health is not able to support VISA sponsorships.
In order to be considered for this position, your resume must reflect all relevant licenses, certifications, education, and experience noted in the requirements and minimum qualification sections of this job posting. Without this information, candidates cannot be considered for positions to which they may be qualified.
Please note: Six furlough days per year are currently in effect for designated departments. Employees in their first twelve months of a benefit eligible position are generally exempted from mandatory furlough days.