Salem Health is currently seeking a talented Phlebotomist to join our team!
Salem Health offers exceptional care to people in and around Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley. We have hospitals in Salem and Dallas (West Valley), a medical group of primary and specialty care providers, plus other affiliated services. Our Dallas hospital is a critical-access hospital. Our Salem hospital is a Magnet®-recognized facility, a regional referral center and one of the largest acute-care hospitals in Oregon. Salem Health is the area’s largest private employer, with about 3,500 full and part-time employees.
Every result we deliver has a profound impact on people’s lives, which is why we deliver more than just results. Our exceptional clinical care, healing environment, and commitment to quality patient care makes us tops with the people who matter to us: our patients and their families.
The Inpatient Phlebotomist performs a variety of specimen collections for laboratory testing and performs bedside testing in a variety of settings.
The collections will be of:
• Venous – evacuated tube, syringe, butterfly
• Skin puncture
The testing may include, but not be limited to:
• Blood gas tests
• Coagulation tests
• Chemistry tests
• Hematology tests
• POC tests
The locations will include, but not be limited to:
• Emergency Department
Minimum Qualifications Include:
• Minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
• One (1) year phlebotomy experience OR successful completion of a phlebotomy school program with an affiliated school that includes a clinical rotation at Salem Hospital required.
• Nationally recognized Phlebotomy Certificate or agrees to obtain at individual’s own expense within six (6) months of hire date.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Include:
• Ability to learn and successfully perform the collection procedures and patient testing listed above.
• Ability to learn and successfully use a Positive Patient ID collection system.
• Has a thorough knowledge of specimen requirements for standard tests.
• Experience with a Laboratory Information System strongly desired.
• Ability to train students and newly hired staff strongly desired.
Core Job Functions Include:
• Obtain appropriate samples from patients for the tests ordered as stated in procedure manuals. Transport specimens properly. Know specimen requirements for commonly ordered procedures. Know how to research specimen requirements and handling for procedures not routinely performed. Perform patient identification per Laboratory policy. Follow infection control procedure to ensure a safe work and patient environment. Follow prescribed safety techniques to maintain personal, co-worker and patient safety (wears and appropriately uses personal protective equipment as required.) Promotes safe work practices.
• Collect critical samples immediately.
• Take the role of Dispatcher. Able to handle more than one call at a time. Receive, record and relay messages accurately and in a timely fashion. Communicate with team members, other laboratory staff and hospital staff in a professional manner. Play a lead role in orchestrating the shift to make it flow in an efficient manner.
• Assist with the phone as needed and answers promptly within three rings. Maintain proper phone etiquette.
• Corroborate with laboratory and non-laboratory teams to provide exceptional patient care and patient experience.
Working Conditions Include:
Constant standing, moving about work area, lift & carry 1-10 pounds, push/pull (force) 1-10 pounds, bend/crouch, walk-level surface, use of arms/wrist, manual dexterity (grasping/squeezing), & keyboard operation.
Light physical work which includes sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods of time. Lifting generally consists of items weighing less than 40 pounds. Job may involve occasional exposure to infectious specimens, as well as other infectious and hazardous materials. Occasional exposure to noxious fumes may occur. Work shifts may be days, evenings, nights, and early mornings, weekdays, weekends and holidays.
Nothing in this job description restricts Salem Health’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo pre-employment drug testing for unauthorized substances. Marijuana and medical marijuana are considered unauthorized substances. Upon date of hire, applicants will be required to complete the U.S. Department Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming identity and authorization to work in the United States. Salem Health is not able to support VISA sponsorships.
In order to be considered for this position, your resume must reflect all relevant licenses, certifications, education, and experience noted in the requirements and minimum qualification sections of this job posting. Without this information, candidates cannot be considered for positions to which they may be qualified.
Please note: Six furlough days per year are currently in effect for designated departments. Employees in their first twelve months of a benefit eligible position are generally exempted from mandatory furlough days.